Saturday, May 21, 2011

Feathered, Furry & French

In the French culture, especially en province, there is an integral relationship, as well as a strong respect, between Man and Animal. I found this sweet lamb on the drive home from Louhans, with its mother and siblings, still nursing~

IMG_6957

Here the hen and the coq, Louhans market; we are grateful for the daily eggs; is it me, or do you also see the “expressions” on their faces, like a conversation?~

IMG_6898

The handsome cheval, in a field full of wildflowers north of Beaune~

IMG_6322

Rare breed goats were found at La Ruchotte, post later; I adored their wise faces~

IMG_6366

Rare breed sheep were also on the property~

IMG_6377

I do not remember such long tails on sheep; is this common?  But I did get a shot of the baby, baabaa black sheep~

IMG_6380

and another, long-haired (Icelandic?) sheep~?

IMG_6368

Elsewhere in the yard, a pair of giant hogs (check out that snout!) and a coq, enjoying the afternoon heat~

IMG_6386

I pass most of the year in Laguna Beach, California, where I am more likely to see dolphins cresting in the ocean or pelicans by the dozen passing overhead.  In France, it’s another story.  One can not escape animals; they are omnipresent, in their living form as well as an occasional ceramic version~

IMG_7229

A short walk from our house in Beaune will find you in the lovely Parc Bouzaise; Laura and I took a stroll through the park on Sunday;  there are many lovely fowl, and I am happy to report that they are all extremely friendly~

IMG_6519IMG_6557

of note, this is the true “Dove Grey;” this pigeon wears its colors well!

IMG_6571IMG_6541

More on the Parc later, the star animals of Burgundy are found at the Monday morning Louhans market.  Here you will find the finest specimens of volaille

IMG_6828

This coq is magnificent; it is this man’s pet, not for sale; he feeds it by hand; this rooster is tres beau~~

IMG_6834

Chickens are highly expressive; it is too bad most Americans don’t get to see these animals; the French respect the gift that the animal has given, its life; I am not at all a fan of the U.S. commercial livestock growers, but that’s another post.  That being said, each time I go to the Louhans market, I serve the same thing for lunch at home in Beaune; Quiche and a bottle of Domaine Gros rose.  The gift of the Egg is enough.

IMG_6825IMG_6879IMG_6874

Elsewhere at the market at Louhans there are exotics; you might find a peacock or peahen, or any number of other animals~

IMG_6851

Such as this adorable fluff of a puppy; for companionship, not for dinner!

IMG_6840

As well as this adorable little one; it’s all there at Louhans.

IMG_6843IMG_6996IMG_7011

See you next time at the markets!!

4 comments:

  1. What a treat this post is. That long haired sheep is something I have never seen. The cow is so cute , what happened to her horns? I tried my hand at raising weird chickens, the cut ones w/ hats. The Rooster hated me an I was attacked every day.Now Lambs Hummmm!!!!!
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photographs are beautiful Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweet lamby!

    Laughing again at those hogs. Wasn't that grand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures of the beautiful farm animals. Certainly, not a regular sight around here. I am definitely going to try the scone recipe. Thanks for these delightful posts about your trip.

    ReplyDelete